Dark Summoner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How efficient is building a Defensive Team versus Offensive?

+3
Armitaage
Demoni
Xoct
7 posters

Go down

How efficient is building a Defensive Team versus Offensive? Empty How efficient is building a Defensive Team versus Offensive?

Post by Xoct Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:22 pm

The more I think about these games, it's always about attack, attack, attack. What about defense? Is it possible that a person could win a fight with a pure defensive team? The idea is to outlast your opponent in the 5 turns. The only drawback I see is the technicality of "not doing the most damage therefor you lose".

But I'm thinking within those 5 turns, if your defense is high enough to do its purpose then the enemy would not be doing so much damage to begin with. Meanwhile, since your opponent is usually focused on offense, they won't have much of a defense themselves. This would allow you to do okay damage while surviving. Just an idea, I will look more into this o:
Xoct
Xoct

Back to top Go down

How efficient is building a Defensive Team versus Offensive? Empty Re: How efficient is building a Defensive Team versus Offensive?

Post by Demoni Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:37 pm

Yea me and a few of my friends always joke about having an mixed AA+/A+ team with defensive monsters with skills like: health+ heal, DEA IPD

Think it could work but would be expensive to max as Health and heal are really expensive skills.
Demoni
Demoni

Back to top Go down

How efficient is building a Defensive Team versus Offensive? Empty Re: How efficient is building a Defensive Team versus Offensive?

Post by Armitaage Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:40 pm

funny enough, it's actually what most good AA+ teams are built around, since the stat distribution of the AA+ rank is more focused on def and health, than attack, not that AA+ attack is to be sneered at. although, for rank A+ if i'm doing a defensive team, i would use some of those new 33+ bp monsters. almost without exception, they seem to be A+ AA+ monsters statwise. they have decent attack(usually about 7-9k) and extremely high def and health for a rank A+ monster(usually 6-8k for each def and health). toss in an agi monster, skill change them for ipa/ded, and watch the hate pile up on you cuz ppl just can't beat them. if you want to exponentially increase the hate you get, also toss in a dea skill change too.
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:34 pm

here's some more concrete "defensive" team set ups, built around seriously high def and hp. as some of the monsters being used are not fully placed in the bestiary yet, i can't give you exact numbers on stats, but these have def and health coming out the @$$:

Impulse Undead:

• Meatbag Zombie+
  • Berserker Skull Hunter+
  • Dark Necromancer+
  • Dragon Devour Zombie+
  • Gamigin+

Psycho Brutes:

• Silver Armor Giant+
  • Death Dancer+
  • Aura Blade, Lance+
  • Headhunter Exorcist+
  • White Winged Elite+

Covert Beasts:

• Mysterious Sentinel+
  • Scorch Behemoth+
  • Beast Soul Knight+
  • Thundercloud Vulture+
  • Bayard the Steel Horse+

even though covert beasts have health up same as impulse undead, agi is more useful for them, particularly since bayard already is the 5th highest attack beast anyway. i gave dragon devour zombie instead of a stronger atk monster to impulse undead as health up is VERY important to them, since they are not going first anyway.
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by geeeeeeeeeeeee Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Has anyone tried making a bait team? What i mean is having an extremely weak or attractive target as a leader and having 3 AA+ and an agility monster as the last member? I thought this might be a good method to get gold as I only get hit once every 3 days or by someone 100 levels higher...

geeeeeeeeeeeee

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:56 pm

i've fought those sort of teams, though without an agility monster, but another AA+. depending on the AA+ you use, you can pretty easily steam roll ANY other team, except a full AA+ team. just choose high health high def AA+ like Braize+ and Dark Terror Chimera+, ones with lots and lots of def and health. those are nigh impossible to beat with just an A+ team, and you can easily demolish that team in two or three turns.
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by silentsong Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:57 pm

Armitaage wrote:here's some more concrete "defensive" team set ups, built around seriously high def and hp. as some of the monsters being used are not fully placed in the bestiary yet, i can't give you exact numbers on stats, but these have def and health coming out the @$$:

Impulse Undead:

• Meatbag Zombie+
  • Dark Necromancer+
  • Dragon Devour Zombie+
  • Gamigin+

Psycho Brutes:

• Silver Armor Giant+
  • Death Dancer+
  • Aura Blade, Lance+
  • Headhunter Exorcist+
  • White Winged Elite+

OMFGGGGGGGGGG I worked so hard on my non-winged psycho brute formation, thinking it was special, then you just put it all up on display for everyone to see, TWICE!! (also somewhat in formation guide, this one is just updated) Sad Well I am in the process of buying Death Dancer+ to replace my deceit witch, but my frustration still stands.

This formation has a VERY high BP cost at 138, which can be considered either a plus or a negative, depending on the circumstances. Also, aside from WWE, all of those monsters are unsummonable and pretty expensive. Most of these are pretty new, so they're not that hard to find yet, except for Headhunter Exorcist+. It took me almost two weeks to acquire two regs. At least I have never come across this formation in-game, so I feel a LITTLE special. The only thing holding this formation back is the skillset. The only reason I decided to put this team together is because of the skill spirits awarded in VL. They're STILL going to have it, right? (crosses fingers)

And I'm running the same sin undead team on my alt account, although I don't have gamigin yet, so I'm substituting him for scrap meat zombie and am using skeleton minotaur instead of dragon devour zombie.

Like the brute formation, this one comes with a very high BP cost. In fact, even a bit higher.

silentsong

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:02 am

lol, sorry, didn't intend to ruin it for you, was just responding to the question asked. hell, i know what ima use for a defensive team as soon as i can make some decent ep, lol. i might replace gamigin with another undead, perhaps, but ima try out the undead form. even though it has no agility, that doesn't mean that it can't win, and win big.

edit: btw, you're right, skeleton minotaur is better suited to this form than dragon devour zombie, and gamigin is not quite right either. way i would do this form, now that i've had a second look is:

• Meatbag Zombie+
  • Dark Necromancer+
  • Skeleton Minotaur+
  • Brain Sip+

better def and better health, making this damn near an AA+ form without the agi, lol
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by ryesteve Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 am

Demoni wrote:Yea me and a few of my friends always joke about having an mixed AA+/A+ team with defensive monsters with skills like: health+ heal, DEA IPD
Except for Heal, I already tried something like this... I added in A+s with IPD and Impulse down, on top of Health up and DEA, and it turns out it didn't do as well as just sticking with 5 AA+s, even though the other two AA+s didn't have helpful skills. I didn't account for the loss in agility... getting off 3 attacks first instead of 5 is what really made the difference.

ryesteve

Back to top Go down

Post by ryesteve Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:47 am

geeeeeeeeeeeee wrote:Has anyone tried making a bait team?
Yeah, I did this... it worked for about a day, and then people seemed to catch on. Got a lot of sarcastic "ha ha, I see what you did there" posts to my wall. Even trying to bait with a proggie doesn't work as well as it used to. I think my BP total looks too high.

ryesteve

Back to top Go down

Post by silentsong Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Armitaage wrote:lol, sorry, didn't intend to ruin it for you, was just responding to the question asked. hell, i know what ima use for a defensive team as soon as i can make some decent ep, lol. i might replace gamigin with another undead, perhaps, but ima try out the undead form. even though it has no agility, that doesn't mean that it can't win, and win big.

edit: btw, you're right, skeleton minotaur is better suited to this form than dragon devour zombie, and gamigin is not quite right either. way i would do this form, now that i've had a second look is:

• Meatbag Zombie+
  • Dark Necromancer+
  • Skeleton Minotaur+
  • Brain Sip+

better def and better health, making this damn near an AA+ form without the agi, lol

Yeah I've been debating whether to use brain sip or gamigin. Maybe if I was super EP-rich, I coulda bought that Gamigin+m(20) I saw in the AH a month or 2 ago.

silentsong

Back to top Go down

Post by silentsong Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:20 am

Actually, thinking further about this, I think Ghoul Warrior+ would be better than Brain sip+ for defensive purposes. He has 1k more health and only 300 less defense. Increase dodge rate is hard to level, and I don't know how effective it is at max level so I can't make really any statement about that, but I'm sure it is much more effective for defense.

silentsong

Back to top Go down

Post by kyan Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Without skill changes I don't think those teams will hold up at all and if you're going to pay to skill change you might as well get a AA+ team. Defense is really hard in this game and only effective if you have multiple things stack. Namely dea with guild down. Adding ipd and health after than helps depending on the def of your team. Without the dea/guild down I don't think you can build a good defensive oriented team. The attacks are just too high and have too many bonuses to effectively deal with. The goal is for your monsters to survive a min of 2 attacks ideally 3 or more. Even with high defensive/hp monster you can't find those that can take the hits without dea/guild down. Any team that runs attack should have ipa and ideally ded in there so you have to have a lot more to overcome that.

I added mesh with dea20 and hellfire with ipd20 to quetz, sky, lind wyrm team and it really made no difference whatsoever. Granted the winged wyrm team doesn't have high defense or hp to begin with but the combination of those skill maxed didn't contribute anything at all. That's with quetz at 5. Maybe at 20 it will show a difference. I beat the same team on offense and lose to the same on D.

Kyan

kyan

Back to top Go down

Post by kyan Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:58 pm

silentsong wrote:

OMFGGGGGGGGGG I worked so hard on my non-winged psycho brute formation, thinking it was special, then you just put it all up on display for everyone to see, TWICE!! (also somewhat in formation guide, this one is just updated) Sad Well I am in the process of buying Death Dancer+ to replace my deceit witch, but my frustration still stands.

This formation has a VERY high BP cost at 138, which can be considered either a plus or a negative, depending on the circumstances. Also, aside from WWE, all of those monsters are unsummonable and pretty expensive. Most of these are pretty new, so they're not that hard to find yet, except for Headhunter Exorcist+. It took me almost two weeks to acquire two regs. At least I have never come across this formation in-game, so I feel a LITTLE special. The only thing holding this formation back is the skillset. The only reason I decided to put this team together is because of the skill spirits awarded in VL. They're STILL going to have it, right? (crosses fingers)

lol. I gave a buddy a very similar team when he started during the baneful tower event with Iris+ in there instead of lance. The attack boost more than make up for their difference in stat. I'll give him dancer once I collected the second one. I build the team because I was tire of people rejecting the non-winged brutes. This team has far better attack than the winged version and more possibility of improvement as Ateam seems to be abandoning psy winged brutes.

Kyan

kyan

Back to top Go down

Post by silentsong Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Hey kyan, do you know how effective dodge(20) is? i've never run into any teams with that skill high enough to know anything about whether or not you dodge a bunch of hits or not.

silentsong

Back to top Go down

Post by kyan Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:22 pm

silentsong wrote:Hey kyan, do you know how effective dodge(20) is? i've never run into any teams with that skill high enough to know anything about whether or not you dodge a bunch of hits or not.

me neither. I suspect its like crit(20). You get a miss once per battle with it on average.

Kyan

kyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down