Dark Summoner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed!

+16
robinsonsteve62
Khastarax
ctigers124
General Osf
J-Tin
kyan
Gespens
ILVS2
larry378
Armitaage
Bestron2
.:::Yoshi:::.
Horg
blah
applesauce
JessicaMD
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! Empty Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed!

Post by JessicaMD Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:05 pm

So! We've got a lot of threads talking about which team/monsters are best and by how many points precisely, so I thought we should also have a thread about which monsters are the best looking!

Which monsters do you find to be the most 'photogenic'? and why?
Which monsters do you begrudgingly use on your team solely because of their stats/skill but otherwise find to be an eyesore? (I'm looking at YOU child of pit!)

I'll start off!
(By the way, for those who don't know; here's a link to the bestiary, with pictures of every single monster!) CLICK ME!

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 76014_big
I obviously have to start with the Gold Gorger Dragon, it's a dragon. made out of gold. Love it. I also really like the monster art with people or something to give a sense of scale!

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56062_big
Snowstorm was one of my first monsters, I like how the picture is zoomed out and shows the whole dragon, very pretty turquoise coloring, and graceful design. and I'll never forget the first time I enlarged the picture and saw the horse. (I like refrences that give the monsters scale)

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 66008_big
Corporeal Devoid; the first thing I thought when I saw the little monster picture in somebody's formation in-game was "that alien ship from close encounters of the third kind", then the full pic reveals that the freaky alien mothership is actually just the HEAD of this giant badass space gorilla thing, I really like the trippy artwork, in combination with a great name that really fits it; 'corporeal devoid', because what the heck is that thing?!

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 53042_big
Quetzalcoatl is a flying green feather boa, and he's grinning from ear to ear. Looks cuddly too Razz

Now, for one I don't like...
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50006_big
Yeah, yeah, ok, it's the backbone of every single sin demon team, and sin is the largest group (player-wise), and demons are the most popular combo for sin, so being anti-pit could be construed as being anti-fossil fuel in a real world analogy, I acknowledge that pit is a crucial monster to the 'entire game'; but I maintain that it looks DUMB. The slack jawed drooling makes pit look more stupid than scary, and the fish-man-centipede genetic splicing causes those silly spikes on the back that look like a fish with a removed fin, and those tiny hands make it more laugh-worthy than cringe-worthy,

What do you think?
JessicaMD
JessicaMD

Back to top Go down

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! Empty Re: Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed!

Post by applesauce Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:39 pm

this:
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 53070_big

because, awesome lol
applesauce
applesauce

Back to top Go down

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! Empty Re: Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed!

Post by blah Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Lol while we're at it, we may as well toss in Selene and some other random girls.

On the gross side, Child of Purification looks almost as gross as its cousin Child of Pit.

blah

Back to top Go down

Post by Horg Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56021_big

Amazing for four reasons...

1. Boobs
2. Big Boobs
3. Fake Boobs
4. Cartoon Fantasy Boobs

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56051_big

^^ Looks like you could tap it, it would fall on its back and not be able to get up. Disappointing compared to blood flame and dust
Horg
Horg

Back to top Go down

Post by .:::Yoshi:::. Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm

Good idea for a thread!

My favorites are the Snowstorm Dragon and Rhea Smile
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 63013_big

Least favorites are casts

(For example rot cast)
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 60012_big

Slaughter Bee Queen
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56007_big

Beezlebub
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50007_big

Pit and Child of Purification

Just my opinion pig

Back to top Go down

Post by applesauce Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:17 pm

blah wrote:Lol while we're at it, we may as well toss in Selene and some other random girls.

On the gross side, Child of Purification looks almost as gross as its cousin Child of Pit.

believe or not im actually not that much into selene, sure big boobs and all but eifu is more...tasteful in my opinion. also for the record, the "childs" artworks suck :/
applesauce
applesauce

Back to top Go down

Post by Bestron2 Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am

applesauce wrote:
blah wrote:Lol while we're at it, we may as well toss in Selene and some other random girls.

believe or not im actually not that much into selene, sure big boobs and all but eifu is more...tasteful in my opinion. also for the record, the "childs" artworks suck :/

Strangely enough I agree with you. Not to mention maybe I'm picking waaaaay too far, but I think that Selene is just too muscular for my tastes, and also her thighs just seem... well, not in proportion. Laughing

Unforgiven Eifu is okay, but I prefer Enchanting Alraune, the unevolved version of Glamourous Alraune. Dunno, it just seems to look better than its evolved version, but maybe that's just my tastes.
Bestron2
Bestron2

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:38 am

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 60002_big
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50038_big
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 43070_big

nuff said
I'd put more that I like visually, but I am on my phone
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by larry378 Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:04 pm

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! Untitl16

There's a point at which larger breasts are no longer a good thing, and although I can't articulately define where the point is, this has clearly passed it. spherical boobies bigger than someone's head are just wacky looking. Selene's artwork gives the slight suspicion that the artist may have only heard about, but never has actually seen a woman before.

Eifu (all permutations) is classy as hell. I'd like to see more like that
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56004_big
WWE is clearly wearing a cheerleading uniform, and that's great.
I'd say WWE is an interesting monster to compare to child of pit. because both are terribly 'weak' monsters stat-wise (compared to legitimate agility powerhouses like DCC, Lind, Marbas) but are both widely used due to type/skill popularity in formations. WWE is actually slightly weaker than pit if you go stat for stat, but WWE is about 1e100X better looking.

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56046_big
Two words; fur bikini.
Two more words; hell yeah
larry378
larry378

Back to top Go down

Post by ILVS2 Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:35 am

larry378 wrote:Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! Untitl16

There's a point at which larger breasts are no longer a good thing, and although I can't articulately define where the point is, this has clearly passed it. spherical boobies bigger than someone's head are just wacky looking. Selene's artwork gives the slight suspicion that the artist may have only heard about, but never has actually seen a woman before.

More like seeing as how most of the artwork is drawn by a japanese anime artist, they love boobs. Big or small they get drawn. They have animes with them being the size of half there body lol. They love 'em.

ILVS2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gespens Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:41 am

larry378 wrote:Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! Untitl16

They aren't as big as they seem due to perpspective... though still pretty big.

I still like the art.

Gespens

Back to top Go down

Post by Bestron2 Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:52 am

Not only that but Selene's thighs are so chunky they defy belief. I mean, since when the hell did thighs become thicker than hips? It defies human physiology, seriously.
Bestron2
Bestron2

Back to top Go down

Post by kyan Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:51 am

Bestron2 wrote:Not only that but Selene's thighs are so chunky they defy belief. I mean, since when the hell did thighs become thicker than hips? It defies human physiology, seriously.

Obviously she's not human. That's the whole point lol.

Even though I have Selene in party. I agree that Aluruane is sexier. Too bad Ateam screw rancor and won't release a mystic agility.

I find the artwork of the recent wyrms to be subpar. Jupiter doesn't even look like a dragon but some giant bug. Of the wyrm, I really like ring. Classic chinese dragon.

Kyan
Kyan's Store

kyan

Back to top Go down

Post by ILVS2 Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Bestron2 wrote:Not only that but Selene's thighs are so chunky they defy belief. I mean, since when the hell did thighs become thicker than hips? It defies human physiology, seriously.

Nothing compared to Chun-li in SF4 LOL!

ILVS2

Back to top Go down

Post by JessicaMD Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:05 pm

kyan wrote:

Obviously she's not human. That's the whole point lol.

Even though I have Selene in party. I agree that Aluruane is sexier. Too bad Ateam screw rancor and won't release a mystic agility.

I find the artwork of the recent wyrms to be subpar. Jupiter doesn't even look like a dragon but some giant bug. Of the wyrm, I really like ring. Classic chinese dragon.

Kyan
Kyan's Store

I've gotta agree with you about the wyrms! I was really looking forward to being able to do a winged psycho wyrms team after this event, but nope. All the psycho dragons suck, and look terrible.

I also like how the last five or so posts ended up being a play-by-play about selene's breasts and thighs... Thanks Larry Razz
JessicaMD
JessicaMD

Back to top Go down

Post by Horg Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:14 pm

I disagree, I think they did a great job with the new wyrms, they are supposed to look Alien and they definitely do!

Some Awesome Artwork
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56069_big

This is what would happen if Storm Ship Troopers chose Dragons instead of bugs!
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56068_big

Not a Fan of this one
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 53068_big

Love it, another starship troopers dragon
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 53069_big

Meh
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50067_big

So cool, love the phoenixy kind of look it has
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50068_big

Horg
Horg

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Tin Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:26 pm

Well lets start off with everyone's favorite (who in my mind doesn't look like a Demon, more like an angel) - Hatred Pledge Victoria
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56041_big

Next are the two best B/B+ rank female artwork:
Alluring Black Wings
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 30007_big

and Jealous Black Wings
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 30008_big

Also what guy does not appreciate Dawn Lilith and the wonderful Harem of women around her Smile
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 56055_big

And now my too favorite wyrms:
Magic Light Dragon
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50039_big

and Plague Dragon
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 53040_big

And two honorable mention tough guys
Gusion
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 53060_big

and Brave Pharaoh
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50041_big

J-Tin

Back to top Go down

Post by General Osf Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 pm

I like Snowstorm Dragon. The coloring is epic, looks like one of those fantasy paintings instead of some generic drawing (AKA rots).

I also like Flame Kag and Moon Sea Dragon.
General Osf
General Osf

Back to top Go down

Post by larry378 Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 pm

J-Tin wrote:Well lets start off with...

... best B/B+ rank female artwork:

That actually brings up a great point, there are some non A/A monsters which look great

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 3026_big
I like this one, first time I got one I tried to hold onto it, until I accidentally sacrificed it to my furnace dragon Sad That was a sad day
(I know about the devil and charm succubus too, but I like Qualm best [natural hair color])

Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 26010_big
Also a big fan of the nwd (netherworld DRAGONFLY), looks very crystalline and alien, yet completely sleek and stylish.

Special Mention:
VRITRA

the B version looks SO much better than the A version

A version:
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 53035_big
B version:
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 33027_big

Come on, the A version looks like he just woke up, and he's grumpy, and the B version is flying around wrecking shit with his mouth laser.

But overall, I think Vritra is one of the BEST dragon designs I've seen around, with the exception of Moon Sea, since he's destroying an asteroid field in space or something lol
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 60008_big
and furnace, because come on, furnace is a dragon made out of FIRE. (incidentally, the first A monster I ever got since I received him from some 'welcome to the game' free summon as I started playing during drops of darkness)
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50056_big
larry378
larry378

Back to top Go down

Post by blah Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:48 pm

A few comments:

The Tier 1 dragons from the wall didn't look so good. Especially Jupiter. It looks like it's in pain, since its eyes look gross. Maybe A-Team incentive for you to do more dragon wall?

I find the magic light Dragon's proportion off. Its neck is far too long for its medium sized body. It's also not really magical-looking, it looks more like a cheap robot that gets beat up by heroes...

Furnace looks cool but is also a little off. To me, it looks like a hound a little more than a dragon(its claws and its posture don't really look dragon-ish to me).

Just my personal feedback on the monsters you guys have put up, since I don't tend to look at the full monster art a lot(my phone tends to lag when that happens).

@larry I can donate you the next qualm succubus I get.

blah

Back to top Go down

Post by larry378 Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:11 pm

haha lol no worries, I've been banking my succubuses(succubi)? for some time

speaking of "in-pain"
Monster artwork critique. no number crunching allowed! 50018_big
I just wanna cover this fella in bandages
larry378
larry378

Back to top Go down

Post by .:::Yoshi:::. Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Lol ouch affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by ctigers124 Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:48 pm

i dunno dawn lilan's tits are kinda easty westies
ctigers124
ctigers124

Back to top Go down

Post by General Osf Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:47 pm

ctigers124 wrote:i dunno dawn lilan's tits are kinda easty westies

Lol dude
General Osf
General Osf

Back to top Go down

Post by Khastarax Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Besides Magic Light Dragon or Dragons in general (specifically Quetzalcoatl that really awestruck me the first and only time I got him), my picks are:

Paimon: he is a winged Demonic King wearing golden armor and riding a camel (of all bizarre mounts) to battle while commanding his own army puts him very high on my list when it comes to art work and lore aestethic value.

Hellfield Fiend Asura: The front face staring at you intently with its other heads conveying different states of his mind(s) at the same time and his many arms poised to strike at a moment's notice fits into the bloodthirsty monster imagery.

Jiangshi Fighter: A chinese "Zombie/vampire/some undead" that knows kungfu, how awesome is that!?

Starmaiden Rhea: She got an elegant bearing and her eyes seems to be glancing longingly into the distance while she still bears a serious look.

In the end I find most artwork in this game very impressive whereas most other Japanese games are too typical manga/anime cartoonish (as much as I am a fan of the genre myself DS's theme in general is a refreshing breeze among the mobile games of this genre).
Khastarax
Khastarax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next