Dark Summoner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DS - code blue! DR - DOA! What other DS-style TCG do you like?

+12
LazyStevz
Fenix00
WorpeX
Nightmirror
FrankF
p2mc28
JSOG
Marked0001
bacsiha
Ologolos
Armitaage
Scratch102
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

DS - code blue!  DR - DOA!  What other DS-style TCG do you like? Empty DS - code blue! DR - DOA! What other DS-style TCG do you like?

Post by Scratch102 Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:22 am

So from another thread, someone was asking about other Dark Summoner styled games that folks like to play.

One of my favorite weirdos replied with the Angry Birds catalog. o.O

I have messed with a few other of these games, and I'd like to hear what other DS-style games you all have found to be enjoyable in any sense, and why.

Everything below is tainted with my opinion, be forewarned... (also I hate paying $$ for any pixels, so if it isn't F2P I'm out)

Mobage - Not even going to list any one game. They are all mostly the same playstyle and graphics. Marvel War of Heroes, Transformers Legends, Rage of Bahamut, etc etc. Ticket trade system, ability to hit "auto" on the missions, it's the source of all the fancy new changes in DS. Only unique gem out of this pile is Defender of Texel (DOT) mostly for no ticket system and the minecraft style graphics. Personally I found it boring but I was raised on Pong and the golden age of 8-bit games, so this is played out in my eyes.

Spellstorm from TinyCo - Interesting. Same concept of collect cards, evolve cards, etc... do missions... but the cards are actual animated fighters. You can also collect weapons / armor style items to give to each card to boost attack / defense / health etc.... and you can upgrade those items as well as the cards. New card? Remove the weapon and pass it to your new card... so far I'm liking it.

Reign of Dragons - haven't tried it yet, but have heard it talked about on some chats...anyone have thoughts on this one? *also, Dragons.*

Scratch102
Scratch102

Back to top Go down

DS - code blue!  DR - DOA!  What other DS-style TCG do you like? Empty Re: DS - code blue! DR - DOA! What other DS-style TCG do you like?

Post by Armitaage Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:32 am

Is spellstorm available on android? And how big does it really get, in terms of space?

P.S. I eagerly await the day when Konami brings yugioh to mobile, it'll totally and utterly destroy ds, lol, and other wannabes.
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

DS - code blue!  DR - DOA!  What other DS-style TCG do you like? Empty Re: DS - code blue! DR - DOA! What other DS-style TCG do you like?

Post by Ologolos Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:25 am

Scratch102 wrote:So from another thread, someone was asking about other Dark Summoner styled games that folks like to play.

...Reign of Dragons - haven't tried it yet, but have heard it talked about on some chats...anyone have thoughts on this one?  *also, Dragons.*

Played it. Lost interest and Deleted it. 'Nuff said.

If i'm thinking of the right game, It was a lot like a yu gi oh style of game, where the cards physically looked more like cards on the playing field. I remember something about a graveyard type thing too. I think that's why I didn't like it. To me, DS is a card game without cards.

A lot of people seem to like Blood Brothers, but I got tired with the cartoony graphics in a little while. The exploration / quest portion of the game was okay though, now that i've downloaded and played many other competitors, lol

DoT, I find the graphics a little annoying, but the animations are ok. Something about the storyline is compelling to me, but I still don't play that often. The levelling / skilling up feature is a little cumbersome to me, as well, but the number of monsters is pretty interesting and the soundtrack isn't bad either.

Marvel War of heroes, i deleted 2 days into playing.

So far, I still like DS the best, even with all it's flaws. Maybe it's just because I've invested a lot of time, but i think there might be more than that. I might lose interest in the near future due to lack of room for growth, but I guess only time will tell.

PS I'm not employed by A Team lol
Ologolos
Ologolos

Back to top Go down

Post by bacsiha Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:01 pm

New trading card game released 26/6

Order & chaos duel

bacsiha

Back to top Go down

Post by Marked0001 Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:15 pm

Most of the Mobage games have the same mechanics with different themes.
I've tried just about every TCG and nothing had the appeal for me that DS did.
So I'm still looking, and trying out different types of games.
What I'm playing right now
Tekken card tournament. It's not like DS but it's not terrible.
Fantasica. Interesting mix of card type game and tower defense.
NFL matchup. Typical mobage mechanics with a Football theme.
Marvel:war of heroes. Same as above with marvel heroes.
I do like the artwork on WOH.
Blood brothers. A little different mechanics. Not hard to pick up. A little dull and time consuming.
I haven't really come across anything that keeps me playing like DS did. I would love a port of MTG:online for android. There are a couple games that have tried to take that approach, but nothing that is that well put together.
Rebirth is out for me. I'd be better of playing blood brothers as I already have a handle on the game play.
I have tried Order&Chaos duel. It's not terrible, I may give it another go at some point.

Marked0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Ologolos Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:13 pm

All we need to do is create our own app that mimics DS. Call it something else, find a bunch of sick artists to make some monsters and fix all the stuff we don't like!

I know there are a bunch of people smart enough to do that on these forums! (Me EXCLUDED lol)

maybe we can get the dude that makes the bot program, since he or she would know the programming pretty well, I'd imagine. Get the code, hire a computer savvy lawyer who can tell us what we need to change to not violate any infringement laws, and put it online.

Hey, once I even saw the website of some kind of service Ateam must use to help host their app... I clicked on a banner / button from the event screen (before the button should have been active, apparently) and it took me to some kind of hosting site. Started with an "S". "Syvantis", I think it was...
Ologolos
Ologolos

Back to top Go down

Post by JSOG Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:24 am

LORD OF THE DRAGONS. I'm level 132, having a blast, VERY  similar to ds, and best of all.......NOT A DIME SPENT, STILL VERY COMPETITIVE, NO NEED TO SPEND AT ALL.

There really is a god. Yayyyyyy bounce

JSOG

Back to top Go down

Post by p2mc28 Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:01 am

Scratch102 wrote:Only unique gem out of this pile is Defender of Texel (DOT) mostly for no ticket system and the minecraft style graphics.  Personally I found it boring but I was raised on Pong and the golden age of 8-bit games, so this is played out in my eyes.
Same concept of collect cards, evolve cards, etc... do missions... but the cards are actual animated fighters.  You can also collect weapons / armor style items to give to each card to boost attack / defense / health etc....  and you can upgrade those items as well as the cards.  New card?  Remove the weapon and pass it to your new card...  so far I'm liking it.

There, now your quote also describes DoT.

I personally like the art style.

The things I like about DoT, put into DS terms:

There's EP and BP; and there's "100 EP" and "100 BP" items to refill that are not tradable, then there's the full EP/BP that are.  I did one event, used all ~100 or so of my 100bp and all ~5 of my reg bp.  Next event I was tapped out, so I used none; however, just by doing the event, I collected roughly ~150 more 100bp pots.  Note, I haven't been able to rank just yet in an event, but if I skip another BP event and store up another ~150, I probably could

Another thing I like is how "prog monsters" work in this game.  They aren't tradable during events, but they are literally event rewards, passed out during the event for completing objectives / ranking daily for the event.  Since I'm still kinda new, getting these prog monsters substantially increases my event power, and can be pretty fun.  Also, prog monsters aren't the only ones who get a boost; older monsters do too, depending.  Let's say today was "Impulse" day, then all impulse monsters might get a +150% stat boost for event missions/battles.  Or perhaps this particular monster is a Hero for this event - +200% stats!  (these bonuses can stack)  And for references, prog monsters can have anywhere from like  +150% stats to +800% or more (I think last event had +2000% stats on the top prog for the last day).

Oh, another thing: you don't lose (all of) your XP when you evolve/combine monsters.  Also, combining is free!

There's more but I feel like I'm talking too much =P

p2mc28

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankF Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:33 pm

I've played a few competitors, so I'll give my thoughts:

1. HellFire.  A Mobage game.  I mentioned this in the other thread, but it is beautiful, especially on the iPad.  It makes DS look like a pile of puke.  The quests are flick-action, like SkeeBall, and actually require some skill to complete as you have to build a good form, aim well, and plan your attacks to some degree.  There are currently two types of events and they run close together.  No trading, no player interaction, no PVP, no clans, but if they add those I'll seriously consider quitting DS.  I haven't spent any $$ on this yet and it's still fun to me.  

2. Legend of the Cryptids.  Very similar to DS, but didn't grab me for some reason.

3. Lord of the Dragons.  Mentioned above, it's nice looking and somewhat like DS, but there is no evolving and no trading.  PvP is done well and there are regular events.  The biggest problem for me is that they mix traditional fantasy with steampunk and 50's-era gangster themes.  WTF?  Pick a style and stick with it.  I've been playing this less and less, but I still play it every day.

4. Dragon Magic.  Looks like DS but doesn't have very many players.  No trading and I'm not a big fan of the artwork -- looks cheesy to me.  Could be fun, but I don't see it lasting.

5. Lies of Astaroth, Guardian Cross, War of the Fallen.  Couldn't stand any of these.  They either didn't work properly, looked cheesy (I can't stand Anime-style art), or some combination of those.

So for now, I'll stick with DS and HellFire.  Until something better comes along.

FrankF

Back to top Go down

Post by Nightmirror Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:55 pm

JSOG wrote:LORD OF THE DRAGONS. I'm level 132, having a blast, VERY  similar to ds, and best of all.......NOT A DIME SPENT, STILL VERY COMPETITIVE, NO NEED TO SPEND AT ALL.

There really is a god. Yayyyyyy bounce

I was going to try this game but it has lots of low ratings for Android. Seems to have technical issues.
Nightmirror
Nightmirror

Back to top Go down

Post by WorpeX Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:03 am

Really looking for a new game as well... I don't agree with the changes to Dark Summoner. However, regardless of this, it still appears to be the best game on the market from what i've looked at...

So far i've tried:

D.O.T: Probably the best game i've tried so far, but I have trouble really getting into the game. The events are extremely repetitive. The battle system, while fun at first, gets old fast. Graphics are unique though, i really like the 3D art style with the animated characters.

Lord of Dragons: Terrible game on Android. Extremely buggy. Game crashed on me multiple times and I don't even think I hit level 3. The adventure missions were a joke. I don't even understand why they even tried to animate it. You constantly walk towards a castle which you don't ever get closer to. Monster Art was nice though. 

Dark Rebirth: Shit game for reasons I don't need to explain.

Rage of Bahmut: Was really into DS at the time when I played it so I didn't get into it. With that said, I was confused as fuck as to what I was supposed to be doing. Didn't really give the game a chance, tbh. Still have no real desire to do so...

Will try HellFire as per FrankF's suggestion. Sounds interesting...
WorpeX
WorpeX

Back to top Go down

Post by Ologolos Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 pm

HellFire I'm going to have to try as well.

I downloaded Lord of the Dragons... it's not bad, I've been playing it a bit. not quite as gung ho about it as DS, but the interface is pretty nice and easy to understand, and it's keeping me tapping. I can deal with the advancing yet not advancing mission grphics.
Ologolos
Ologolos

Back to top Go down

Post by WorpeX Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:40 pm

HellFire is pretty cool, so far. I like the evolution's and the flick system. The game is also very simple to learn. If it weren't for the fact that the game seriously lacks content, it would be really good.
WorpeX
WorpeX

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenix00 Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:58 pm

I've started playing Magnus Ignis on Android, is anyone else playing this?

Fenix00

Back to top Go down

Post by LazyStevz Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:41 pm

Fenix00 wrote:I've started playing Magnus Ignis on Android, is anyone else playing this?

Yep, I'm playing it. Decent game so far. The mechanics seem sound. Lots of bonuses and events. Music is great. Art is clean and crisp.

Unfortunately it is hellishly expensive to consider serious investment. I did put in on one event and got extremely lucky. Trade system is akin to DS' trade market without the tickets. Support varies between your devices (With apples being the best assuming.). Communication just as tacky as DS.

Still play it and would recommend anyone to try it out. Also potion refills are free until Lvl 15.

LazyStevz

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenix00 Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:27 pm

LazyStevz wrote:
Yep, I'm playing it. Decent game so far. The mechanics seem sound. Lots of bonuses and events. Music is great. Art is clean and crisp.

Unfortunately it is hellishly expensive to consider serious investment. I did put in on one event and got extremely lucky. Trade system is akin to DS' trade market without the tickets. Support varies between your devices (With apples being the best assuming.). Communication just as tacky as DS.

Still play it and would recommend anyone to try it out. Also potion refills are free until Lvl 15.

I think it has potential after a few days of playing. I don't think there's player to player trading (but I think DS was the only game that USED to allow this)

Here's what I noticed so far:
- Trade Market: You can sell up to 5 cards/items at at time, there's also a bookmark feature if you want to watch an auction
- Trade Market has a decent filter and a lot more players willing to trade for gems (gold)/ items instead of just cards
- There have been 2 events the past few days, 1st was a clan event and 2nd (current) event is an allies event. Looks like they encourage group play.
- Energy Points are only increased 1 point per finished level (right now), Battle Points is locked
- Build your fighting deck with ATK and DEF that are increased with earned points that you distribute
- Battle deck can consist of up to 12 cards
- Cards can be upgraded with added items (swords/shields) that increase Max ATK or DEF
- Lots of gifts which helps build your deck and stockpile potions

Fenix00

Back to top Go down

Post by Ologolos Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 pm

I found a new game recently that I'm kind of excited about, called Jewel Dragon. I play DS on an iPod so I'm not sure if it's available in any android markets... it's a smaller title, but the game has some serious potential!

To describe it, it's a cross between Dark Summoner (or some other fantasy-themed trading card game), Hellfire and Bejeweled... an addictive mix of puzzle and TCG.

You have a formation of cards you can evolve or enhance, sell, whatever, but the fun part is the missions... to participate, you solve puzzles like bejeweled, where you line up colored gems.

For each line, you initiate an attack against the opponents on screen, exploiting elemental weaknesses that correspond to the jewels' colors. If your attacks are unsuccessful within a certain number of turns, the enemies attack back, until your HP is depleted.

Each mission expends energy, and there are even events. The evo system has a bit of a twist in that specific cards are required to evolve monsters, not necessarily just 2 of the same. There is your standard star-based monster ranking system, and socially interactive components like an ally list, connections to twitter (i think) and more.

The worst thing I've found (so far) is a slight lack of polish... it doesn't have the "flair" of hellfire or the artwork of DS, and the English translations i've read are sometimes broken, but these can, in my opinion, be easily overlooked for the playability and hybrid novelty of this title.

If you get a chance to check it out, let me know what you think!
Ologolos
Ologolos

Back to top Go down

Post by bbr Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:53 am

Liking DoT so far,.
(if anyone wants to give it a try use the code NGaF, ill toss you a few EP)

Also got Lies of astaroth which recently got a big update and now allows cards to level up to 15, instead of 10.
But, the game is HEAVILY focused on pay to win.
And even those paying are complaining about not getting any bang for their buck. (much worse so than DS) So,. i'd recommend either taking it easy on that game, or not playing at all.

i got spellstorm, but, meh, it's not really pulling me in.

hellfire doesn't do it for me either,. flicking fireballs, no thanks.

rage of bahamut is just a clone of many another, same with magnus ignis, devil maker, pirate maidens, dark lord, reign of dragons,.. deity wars, galaxy hero,,. just clones clones clones of the same game. Avoid them.
bbr
bbr

Back to top Go down

Post by I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!! Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:11 am

I have gotten really into Shadow Era... Magic:The Gathering style card game... deck building every game is against a person (even has a printed vacard version with the same cards)

It has a weekly "Meltdown" event where you pay gold to play a 4 card booster pack game for ranking... fairly large following, so waiting times are from instant to 30-45 seconds (most the longer wait times are in meltdown, almost all games I start with My Decks are instant match)

Has a chat in game with your opponent, can watch other games and chat in them as well, mail & friend system which is kinda clunky to be honest but not overly so... and the ability to create games with friends that has a password lock (i mainly use to play against friends in person)

All in all a great game... stopped playing DS for about 4 months cause I stopped caring... kinda like the devs...

Nathan

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!! Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:13 am

Oh... no card trading but every card is purchasable with gold... so not that big of a deal... ive spent $0 and have like 6 great decks...

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 am

I've tried shadow era, but don't entirely like how the turn progresses, I'm much more of a yugioh type of tcg player than any other tcg type of game, and I'm pretty set in my ways, lol. I must have my spells, traps, and overpowered effect monsters, lol. My enjoyment is inversely proportional to the number of those elements that are missing, lol
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!! Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:50 pm

I understand... I really miss instants & interrupts myself, they have said they will be forthcoming... its only on 1st edition with 1 expansion, so plenty left to build to... it just means you have a different metagame build & playstyle... at first I really didn't like but some of my friends were playing and I was so tired of ateam bullsh*t, I persevered...

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:05 pm

I just downloaded and tried out another shadow era like app, "Rolplay Online TCG", and I must say, I like it immensely. It's much more yugioh than shadow era, yet it still resembles it somewhat. The best feature, imo, is that the starter deck is not stacked so that you can't even win the first introductory fight(I could never win a single game in shadow era, I never seem to draw many weapons or allies with any decent amount of health and attack)
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!! Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Cool... I'm gonna try it out... theres a Shadow Era forum with deck builds on it... I never used it but my friend was always on there... I got one deck that become super popular, I created it within the first hour of the expansion release... I dont think I lost a game for the first 2 weeks I played it... it was so slow & brutal... mage hero with zero allies, just grinding ppl down with them screaming hate in chat... it was hilarious but as it became more popular ppl started carrying more counters to it, so it stopped being invincible which was good, got pretty boring knowing I couldn't lose... but lately I've just been competing in the meltdown weekly events  and trying to place top 100 in the month long Season rankings...

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by PuffTMD Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:38 pm

I've just started Dragon Realms from Gree - released October, 2013.  No trading, but you do level up and evolve your monsters.  Quest system is better than DS, but really, how hard is that  Smile  ?  Also has a "city-building" mechanic which is how you grow your income.  If you're into the economics of TCG, it may not work for you, but I am quite favorably impressed.

The guild system keeps improving, and the events are guild-only, so join one!  My guild is Kamikaze - code 728-300-528, and we were #300 in the last event.  They are currently looking for active players (preferably lv30+), so please throw an invite to the guild if you play.

If you're a new player, find anyone's referral code to get the starter bonus - mine is 677-109-853.

PuffTMD

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next