Dark Summoner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auction Sorting Mechanics

+5
kyan
.:::Yoshi:::.
Terecon
Armitaage
resnus
9 posters

Go down

Auction Sorting Mechanics Empty Auction Sorting Mechanics

Post by resnus Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello Everyone

Let me start off by saying that DS has one of the shittiest Auction systems I have ever seen...
I have Emailed DS support asking when they will implement some sort of search or filter options (I received no response).

It seems that the whole system is designed to extort gold from the players.
If you are selling something cheap why would you spend 1mill gold to get to the front pages...

So, here is my question: Does anyone know in which order are the
auctions displayed? Im sure majority of players use 10k to post their
auctions. So, even if its sorted purely by amount of gold spent on the
auction all the 10k listings have to be sorted further... I suspect that
its either some natural sorting order which the back-end database
returns or some other criteria which developers use. Whatever it is - I
can not find the pattern.

I hope something changes in Auction system soon; as its very very annoying...

resnus

Back to top Go down

Auction Sorting Mechanics Empty Re: Auction Sorting Mechanics

Post by Armitaage Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:37 pm

i think it is in reverse order of time. that is to say, oldest first, newest last. if two auctions were submitted at the same time, i'm guessing it's alphabetical or, if greed team has actually bothered to make such a system(which i doubt), by value of the auctions.

of course, all of that is speculation, but it seems that a team would it that way to save time having to actually do any work on making the system. the script probably looks something like this:

Code:
@auction_stack += @new_auction;
@auction_stack = sort(@auction_stack, COST, TIME, ALPHA);

again, it's just a guess, but it would be the simplest way to do this from a dev's point of view, however much it might irk us.
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by Terecon Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Whenever I post an auction at minimum cost it normally ends up somewhere in the middle of the pages. So it doesn't seem like too great of a system.
Terecon
Terecon

Back to top Go down

Post by .:::Yoshi:::. Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:46 pm

yeah...at least let us be able to search monsters in our wish list A-team...That would help a lot

.:::Yoshi:::.

Back to top Go down

Post by kyan Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm

A simple compound search like AA impluse would help already but as the OP pointed out its really just a gold sucking engine. It has effectively remove the billions of gold from DS that existed before AH was launched.

Kyan

kyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortium Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Of course, the auction mechanics were fine when you had 12 pages to look through for an AA, but now since every auctioneer suddenly HAS to put fillers in you essentially replicate your results regardless of which filter you put in place.

I would much rather have filters that worked only if ALL the items up for offer were B's, C's, Sin, or whatever.
Mortium
Mortium

Back to top Go down

Post by Trakt Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 pm

Yeah, the auction system is pretty terrible. If they managed to implement a proper auction house (think World of Warcraft) I'd probably play the game near constantly. Oh well..

My experience is similar to Terecons. Whenever I post a 10k auction it winds up near the middle. This leads me to believe that it is first sorted based upon gold then based upon post time with newest auctions first. So it probably goes something like this:

Multi mil - 10,001 gold auctions

Just posted - nearly 3 days old (10k auctions)

Trakt

Back to top Go down

Post by Fill in the Blank Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:59 pm

As a career application developer, there is absolutely no excuse for how shitty the Auction House is.

As an above user stated, every time I put something on the auction for min gold, I wind up at least 20 pages from the last page. And as time moves on, I've noticed the listing can go either direction. I posted a C card for ally banking, and it went from 46 of 60 pages down to page 10 within two hours, back up to 37 two hours after that. It makes no sense at all.

As far as the filtering goes, it would be really, really easy for them to add additional filter criteria, including a free-form search box. Having the extra filters would create response delays measured in milliseconds, which aren't even worth considering their so small.

While it may just be a gold sucking engine, they are shooting themselves in the foot. If I can't see all the listings which apply to what I'm looking for, I'm certainly not going to be rushing to buy some EPs to purchase the cards I want. The more applicable listings a users sees, the more mon.ey they will inherently make. Someone should remind them of that.

P.S. WTF is up with random replacement of words in my post? I keep getting some thing about "teacher says good job" and "wheel of fortune" in my posts...

Fill in the Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by kyan Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Sometime I found recently browsing the Ah that is really disturbing is that auctions I saw earlier start coming up again. It seem the list got resorted while I was in middle of browsing it. Makes it even harder to find anything. Ridiculous.

Kyan

PS for some stupid reasons, moderators/admin decided that m.o.n.e.y is inappropriate for the forum and replace with stupid phrases whereas scam posts of free soul points is allow to take over the forum.

kyan

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:18 pm

yeah, i've experienced the resort many times too, i know exactly what you mean, kyan. and about some of our beef with admins/mods, i'm trying a certain approach, that will hopefully help us get links back and that scammer booted. thankfully, some of the admins are still active ingame, if you get what i mean, lol.
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by Event Horizon Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:57 am

Certain approach?
You're not attacking about2punt, are you? (To give him your gold.) Razz
Event Horizon
Event Horizon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content