Dark Summoner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re-rating the game

+24
dextery
Fenix00
FrankF
Scratch102
Armitaage
larry378
echoside
Rinoa
SlayerChef
Event Horizon
MR.C
Jewelguy
abbas95
IRISHGOD
Deathwish
bbr
lennon_68
ryesteve
Mawrg
JSOG
HelloKitty
soul88
stormweaver1983
EdwardStarbuck
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re-rating the game - Page 2 Empty Re: Re-rating the game

Post by Rinoa Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:30 am

Jewelguy wrote:Lastly, I am not only keeping my 5-star reviews but clicking each 1-star review as unhelpful in Google Play. DS and Rebirth do not require real $. It requires using real strategy. Using your head and thinking it out. You may want it easy ("Give me my guild prog so I can use it & sell it for profit. Oh, and btw, the auction house is too hard for me. You, Ateam, have made it hard to make a profit so I can't rank every week because I don't know hiw to use actual strategy so I'm just going to throw a big, bad tantrum until I get my own way. Boo hoo hoo waah.") but not me. I want a real challenge that I gotta adapt my strategy to. Not my money to, my strategy to.

I disagree. DS was a game that did not require real money but that has changed, at least for now. I don't want to make a profit. I used to gift a lot of monsters to new low level players in our clan to help them out. Everything I was left with I traded or sold for low prices. With all the changes came lots of problems. Just talking for me personally. No direct trade with allies. Gifting requires a trade ticket (really hate that). Only one item per trade in market. 
Now the latest changes regarding progs are really the last straw. They do force you to pay, it's impossible to rank without progs and without trading we can't share among the clan. A second thing I haven't heard yet (maybe i missed it) is that the floor rewards have changed. AA's are pushed back and the A's have been replaced with dark summons that give crappy monsters. Forget about ranking, how am I and players like me supposed to reach the good floor rewards without progs and tons of EP? I have 410 energy points so already in a disadvantage with regards to players with 800 or more. I would really like to know what strategy you have in mind for this. Sure without paying I can play, but without having even a small chance what's the point? I won't give rebirth a 1 star review, can't install it on my phone and I can't review a game I haven't played but I will for DS. These changes are all about making money. Ateam is simply saying fuck you to all the non paying members.

Rinoa

Back to top Go down

Post by echoside Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:58 am

Getting the 2nd AA floor reward is now near impossible unless you pay, or want to spend hundreds of ep.  So you got 1 at floor 150, yay, now you can use a gevo, oh wait they quit making them available, I feel like I'm back to level 25.  Honestly the best way to get 2 is to make a second account and just wait for the event to end.  Alot of these changes are in place to stop or slow down multiple accounts but in a way they are making them almost necessary.

echoside

Back to top Go down

Post by ryesteve Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 pm

Jewelguy wrote:Yet, I completely understand and appreciate your opinion along with everyone else's opinions.
Then stop writing novels to criticize people who are leaving 1 star reviews.

ryesteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Event Horizon Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Jewelguy wrote:Will the mods please delete this message that clearly offends me? And will the mods kindly take action against Event Horizon for posting this clearly offensive message? Thank you.

One more thing: @Event Horizon: I am not leaving ds-forum. I will haunt you here forever. Your offensive message has ensured that I never will let you forget it.
Freedom of Speech. This is not G Team HQ where you can only send nice messages congratulating everyone on a job well done. I am only saying what everyone else here is probably thinking.

And good to know that you will never forget my message and you will 'haunt' me forever. Go right ahead to haunting. I'll just hire the Ghostbusters, if you get annoying enough. lol

Jewelguy wrote:Lastly, I am not only keeping my 5-star reviews but clicking each 1-star review as unhelpful in Google Play.
Wait.. you weren't already doing that? Glad to see that I inspired you to actually do your job properly.
Event Horizon
Event Horizon

Back to top Go down

Post by larry378 Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:30 pm

tldr

re rating won't accomplish anything

they're killing DS playerbase intentionally

as soon as they can cut down the activity numbers they can justify to investors/executives/whatever they have the full transference of resources to their new product (DR)

This is not an uncommon business practice

it was fun while it lasted Smile

and on that basis I would consider the game a success; I was sufficiently entertained for the time I invested, and it was fun chit chatting with ya'll on this wacky little online community

I'll stick around as long as the game is still on
larry378
larry378

Back to top Go down

Post by ryesteve Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:52 pm

I don't doubt this is their plan, but if player backlash means Dark Rebirth is stillborn, they're going to have to improvise something in a hurry.

ryesteve

Back to top Go down

Post by JSOG Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:15 pm

Wow looks like some ateam employees are trolling this thread. Well either that, or some very dumb people. Either way clearly not the opinion of the vast majority of players.

I'm watching them quit in flocks. I'm almost done with my sell off just 2 more ges and my main team left.
THEN ITS MMMMBYE.

JSOG

Back to top Go down

Post by larry378 Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:47 pm

ryesteve wrote:I don't doubt this is their plan, but if player backlash means Dark Rebirth is stillborn, they're going to have to improvise something in a hurry.
re-branding most likely :p

you can't stop progress

(It may not be progress in our eyes; but from their perspective they are hemorrhaging resources supporting DS while trying to refine and launch DR)

a flaw with DS (from vendor perspective) is the non-essential payment option. There was a point in time where ranking was profitable, there was a time where you could farm crystals, sell skills, and A monsters were worth something; all of which are factors which discouraged spending (well perhaps not discourage; why why in the world would you pay if you didn't have to to have fun?)

The trade market has killed resource liquidity and transfer rates. (due to the 10 page limitation, impedance of communication/negotiation for trading; you must dedicate incredible amounts of time in refreshing trade constantly to find transactions you want to participate in. This has strongly limited the ability to transact; making purchase the prime mode of resource acquisition (buy ep or look through a few hundred offers of 50ep for AAAs)

The constant inflation of monster bp and invalidation of As as valid formations also encourages spending. you MUST be buying dark summons, you MUST be ranking in events (aided by progs, and burning resources) to keep current. This also created a side effect of gross deflation and ranking in an event typically being far more costly than any potential rewards.

I wouldn't worry too much 'rendering DR a stillbirth' (excellent pun btw Very Happy); the potential consumer base is far too large. How many people play cell phone games? how many of those people have never played dark summoner? How many people actually read reviews before downloading? How may people take subjective (novel-esque point-by-point complaints about mobile phone games for god's sake) reviews seriously*? (If I see a bunch of reviews that say "this doesn't work", "this will turn your cellphone into a paperweight", I'll steer clear, but some rant about "these developers r nazis and they made their last game suxk, go eat a p3nis l00ses; here are 25 reasons..."

Stuff like this happens. I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

If you don't like the service; don't pay for it.

It's highly unlikely some forum "grassworks" movement is going to illicit any attention let alone response from some company overseas who has eggs in multiple regional baskets especially with the nature of the consumer base; let's face it... EVERYONE plays Dark Summoner, we've got a wide array of ages, nationalities, and professional background in this game; and there is no reason to suppose they cannot hook more such customers.

The unhappiness of a temporal slice of former customers over how "things were better in the good old days" does not matter.

and to boot; many of us aren't customers Razz

hell, I think all these updates are shitty, and I'm a little disappointed that I won't get to enjoy this fun ol game pretty soon; but for the quantity and quality of entertainment they provided me over the few months I played entirely for FREE. I would be in the wrong to complain.

And to anyone who is furious because they spent a lot of money.

Did you honestly think it would last forever?

You must have known the game would go down eventually and everything you did on there lost forever. Which is not to say spending money on ephemeral things is wholly wrong; You buy a drink at a bar, once you drink it it's gone. you pay for a cruise you go on it and have a good time (unless it's carnival), you come back and that money's gone. You just need to make a value judgement on how much you are expecting to get back from how much you are putting in.

And if it's over now, and you feel ripped off; sorry but you made a bad call.

And before anybody brings up dark summons being shitty; it's gambling. Be aware of that; and act accordingly. You can lose thousands gambling and have a good time if you have millions more. If you gamble away a few hundred dollars, get nothing in return and that's all you had; sure you're going to feel bad.

so in summary; 1 star it if you want, it's not going to make a difference
all the commiseration and boo hooing in the world won't bring DS back, and it won't make DR better

DS was a wonderful little experiment, and many of use were fortunate to enjoy it while they fine tuned the more monetizable deliverable model.
larry378
larry378

Back to top Go down

Post by Armitaage Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 pm

You're wrong larry, on one point. 1 star ratings do have an effect, even if people don't really read the actual reviews. Google Play and Apple App Store both display games in order of top rated to lowest rated; the lower on the list that a game is, the fewer people will download it, and the fewer new players the devs will get. It goes without saying but fewer new players = less new revenue. With older players leaving in droves, that hurts business, especially if the new game isn't taking off because it is too low rated.
Armitaage
Armitaage

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch102 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:56 am

I will say the the bad ratings that DR has been getting is doing some scare-away...

Sent the link to a co-worker who mostly plays candy crush and other games (no idea about DS or anything in this vein) and just asked them to look at the game in the link and would they ever download it regardless of their game interest.

In about 5min of looking they replied "Wow that game has horrible reviews, why would I try playing something with that bad a review?  BTW you're a Fire Alarm Guy."

So it is having an effect.
Scratch102
Scratch102

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankF Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:07 pm

larry378 wrote:If you don't like the service; don't pay for it.

It's highly unlikely some forum "grassworks" movement is going to illicit any attention let alone response from some company overseas who has eggs in multiple regional baskets especially with the nature of the consumer base; let's face it... EVERYONE plays Dark Summoner, we've got a wide array of ages, nationalities, and professional background in this game; and there is no reason to suppose they cannot hook more such customers.

DS was a wonderful little experiment, and many of use were fortunate to enjoy it while they fine tuned the more monetizable deliverable model.

One problem they have now is that the market is a lot more crowded than it was when they launched DS over a year ago.  There are many of these types of games out there.  One advantage ATeam had in this contest was a customer base that they knew.  But they seemed to have pissed all of that away by pissing off their exisiting customers and rushing out a product that's inferior in almost every way.  So they very well may have trouble hooking new customers.  Look at a game like Dragon Magic.  Similar in most ways to DS/LOC/etc., but they have very few players; I did two battles today and I'm rank #422.  There is no way that they're profitable, and DR may end up in the same boat if they're unable to hook many of the current DS players.

That said, I haven't found a game yet that's like DS was in the old days.  Any suggestions?  I may end up leaving DS soon, and the best replacement I have is HellFire, which doesn't allow trading but at least looks great and is fun for free players.

FrankF

Back to top Go down

Post by larry378 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:09 pm

FrankF wrote:
larry378 wrote:If you don't like the service; don't pay for it.

One problem they have now is that the market is a lot more crowded than it was when they launched DS over a year ago.  There are many of these types of games out there.  One advantage ATeam had in this contest was a customer base that they knew.  But they seemed to have pissed all of that away by pissing off their exisiting customers and rushing out a product that's inferior in almost every way.  So they very well may have trouble hooking new customers.  Look at a game like Dragon Magic.  Similar in most ways to DS/LOC/etc., but they have very few players; I did two battles today and I'm rank #422.  There is no way that they're profitable, and DR may end up in the same boat if they're unable to hook many of the current DS players.

That said, I haven't found a game yet that's like DS was in the old days.  Any suggestions?  I may end up leaving DS soon, and the best replacement I have is HellFire, which doesn't allow trading but at least looks great and is fun for free players.

I haven't played any games quite like ds in general; but I CAN recommend some other good cell phone games!

Angry Birds Space 10/10, excellent game, the variety of birds and the wealth of levels make this an enjoyable long lasting experience. Must Have

Jewels Deluxe 9/10, A lightweight version of Bejeweled; it works. The only thing keeping this from a perfect score is the absence of "hypercubes" which as you may know from bejeweled; are generated when you match 5 squares in a row and will wipe out all squares of the same type as it is swapped with. In Jewels Deluxe; the 4 cube bomb works, but the 5 cube hypercube does not.

Angry Birds BASIC 9/10, if you've been living under a rock for the past few years or were recently unfrozen like encino man; google it. Otherwise, you know what I'm talking about.

Angry Birds Star Wars 8/10, short but sweet. Many interesting birds with interesting special functions which "evolve" in a DS-esque fashion at designated times to gain new special functions or a more powerful version of their former special function. Very much fun; you'll run out of levels pretty quickly although there are a few more you can unlock if you get maximum rating on every basic level.

Angry Birds RIO 7/10, good pack of additional levels for all Angry Birds Basic fans. nothing exceptional here; some levels are more challenging which is fun for star completionists; but many are far too heavily luck based imo.

Temple Run 7/10, Congo: the Movie: the Game. Enjoy the knuckle whitening terror of fleeing from the most deadly beast known to man; scary ass monkeys. Much Fun however requires full attention, interaction, and coordination for extended periods. Do NOT start a game while driving or standing in line.
larry378
larry378

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenix00 Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 am

I've currently rated both games at 1 star and that's an honest review.

DS can't keep implementing new rules which effectively limit trading and still call itself a Trading Card Game.

As for DR, its horrible. After install and some playtime, it truly deserved its 1 star too.

Fenix00

Back to top Go down

Post by dextery Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:12 am

I'm writing this to the retard who says DS require strategy LOL. Firstly I feel pity for you as you never tried a game which require REAL STRATEGY. Brainless tapping, burning pot... and battle with 5 pay 2 win card you call strategy. Wow I'm so pro, I make someone trade me his AA for good price. Now I get to see 5 card flying here and there wow epic battle. No offence but your a dumbshit.

dextery

Back to top Go down

Post by TigerStrike Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:33 pm

This game was a great game once and I would have rated it 4 stars before the recent changes. I would have given it 5 stars if it had search in the auction house. To me, the game would be complete at that point and the only tweaks needed was to fix bugs, fix exploits, and add new events.

Since the game changed for the worse, I'm deducting stars.
-1 - Limit on gifting (3 stars)
-1 - Limit trading to one item and no longer able to negotiate trades with other players. (2 stars)
-1 - Prog can no longer be traded in the event (1 star)
-1 - A-Team not listening to it's consumer base and fully ignoring their income stream (0 star)

Since I can't give a zero star rating, they get a one star review.

TigerStrike

Back to top Go down

Post by Ologolos Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:23 pm

I can't even get past the tutorial in DR. Every time i get to the "boss", it quits and my progress isn't saved, so I have to go back to the beginning of the tutorial and start again. I've tried 6 or 7 different times, but it keeps crashing. I'm playing on an iPod, though.
Ologolos
Ologolos

Back to top Go down

Post by episparh Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:37 pm

DS turned in epic failure hence  it deserves re-rating.  DR is really pure coded sh*t. It overloads even top tier devices and is total boredom after 1st 10 min.
episparh
episparh

Back to top Go down

Post by Ologolos Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:12 pm

the "3-d battle" I saw looked like obvious 2d with a scaling effect to make it look like the monsters were lunging forward... wow. The DS dragon-wall style events have smoother, more interesting animation on my device.

the bleak landscape of the tutorial looked a lot more 3-d but that's as far as I got.
Ologolos
Ologolos

Back to top Go down

Post by keljaeden Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 pm

I was going to give Dark Rebirth a 1 star in solidarity, but after giving it a good playthough, holy god. This game has honestly earned it's 1 star rating from me. Since they pretty much stopped caring about Dark Summoner, you would think the game they are trying to push now would at least be some what enjoyable.

Also, I have no doubt in my mind that there are A-team shills posting here. I mean, we're talking about a company that threatened legal action against a fan site. While every other publisher gives fan sites benefits for helping promote their game.

If A-Team ever turns Dark Summoner and or Rebirth around, the next thing they need to do is hire a good PR firm.

keljaeden

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch102 Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:06 am

FrankF wrote:That said, I haven't found a game yet that's like DS was in the old days.  Any suggestions?  I may end up leaving DS soon, and the best replacement I have is HellFire, which doesn't allow trading but at least looks great and is fun for free players.

Not to derail the thread but... yeah. I'm going to make a new thread for other fun DS-style games.
Scratch102
Scratch102

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2