So you wanna rank in DS events? (A Noob's Guide to Common Strategies & Mistakes)

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

So you wanna rank in DS events? (A Noob's Guide to Common Strategies & Mistakes)

Post by Guvire on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:06 pm

Everywhere you look for current information on DS, or even for trade values; you are more likely to find current players complaining about the current event (whatever it is) and the rewards given by that event. I doubt very seriously that this little piece of "rant" will do anything to change that trend, but my sincerest hopes are that one or two of the possible readers of this will either learn something themselves, or will link the article to someone who may need its advice...

#1 In order to rank in ANY event, You need to have been preparing to do so for a few days.

(Even at lvl 200, you will routinely see people dropping allies and requesting new ones, or trying to sell monsters for below market value to re-stock their EP/BP supplies) YOU should be doing the same thing. Even a 50-100 point transfer from bp to ep or vice-versa will save dozens of potions during the event.

#2 Ranking against people who are higher levels than you is HARD...

(No, really, I mean it. The math involved isn't too difficult here... for every two levels difference a player gains 6 skill points (3 per level) and an ally slot worth an additional 5 skill points. every 2 levels = 11 skill difference.) Level 100 player has 550 less skill points than a level 200 player does....

...Now imagine if both players are burning EP to rank.

#3 Be concerned with your level.

(While there are many event you could possibly rank top 500 in at a low to mid range level (80-100)ish) There is a much better chance that you will rank as your levels increase. Use EP and BP as it was intended... to power through levels and gain hose extra skill points!)

#4 TRADE!!!

(In this game, using auctions is much slower than making a small list and pasting it on the top 3 ranked profiles. A few minutes at key times during the day will often get you a few EP and clear up inventory for monsters you have no intention on ever using. This also applies to selling or buying skill stacks or singles. That's how I kept my EP reserves up during Vagrant Lands.)

#5 Have allies that consistently rank.

(Falls under the premise of "surround yourself with the types of people you want to be" ... but moreso, it's easier to gauge how well you are doing in an event if you have multiple people who can privately let you know what their rank was and how many of the object they had to get that rank.)

#6 Top ranked people "place" in event to make a profit, not to keep the rewards.

If you really want that reward, perhaps you should be patient for the market to flood and the prices to drop to snag one up. I often decide on if I am going to participate in an event by the amount of EP I think I'll earn by spending hours clicking the same button over and over again.

IF THE PROFIT ISN'T THERE... DON'T DO THE EVENT!!!

Just my 2cents. (Hope it helps 1-2 peeps)

Guvire

Back to top Go down

Re: So you wanna rank in DS events? (A Noob's Guide to Common Strategies & Mistakes)

Post by God_of_War on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:35 pm

I think it needs adding to point 1 that if you use the ally drop tactic to switch EP to BP you cannot return it to mostly EP based without a skill reset. You will actually end up with EP and BP close together which makes you in an OK position for some BP events but a poor one for the mainstay EP ones.

I disagree entirely with selling monsters and below market to re-stock EP/BP. You need to be better organised than this and fire-selling cards cheap is not the way. I do tons of trading but always ensure I have enough EP for the next event in case it is one I want to shoot for. If you want to make sure you have enough EP for event then pick up those cards that do get sold cheap out of desperation and sell them on for profit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i.d. 1891614695 Ares

God_of_War

Back to top Go down

Re: So you wanna rank in DS events? (A Noob's Guide to Common Strategies & Mistakes)

Post by bacsiha on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm

If youre above lv 80 and go full EP, i think you shoud join any EP event (not BP) That is what I do atm. Why ?
Because Im pretty sure that you wont get loss. AA reward usallly sold at least for 150 EP, and with lv 80 go full EP, you easily rank with about 150EP. But what will you have ? That's many stuff like skill stack, gold, monster A reward ... and the most important is that you will get many levels. So you can make at least 100 EP profit
Consider when join BP event. Because at that time, Bp will go for high price (more than 1:1) and you wont increase any level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bacsiha's store : http://www.ds-forum.com/t10267-aa-monster-for-sale

bacsiha

Back to top Go down

Post by HelloKitty on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:01 am

I realized shortly after starting the game that I couldn't rank in top 500 until I was at least lvl 100. Right now I'm at lvl 79. So for now what I do it just go through an event until I get the strongest A monster. Tower events that's 200th floor. In the current "Decisive Path" it was going through 3 laps. Then if I like the card I trade for another and +, if not I trade/sell it. I get lots of gold to donate to my clan, and skill cards during the events. I also usually rank somewhere in the mid-event rankings so I get some sort of prize. But after the first 1/2 I usually have what I'm after and fall out of the rankings. I think it's a good strategy for new-intermediate players.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HelloKitty

Back to top Go down

Post by FinestArts on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:18 am

I started ranking when i was lvl 60+, as long as you have around 400 energy points its okay. The first event will always be the expensive one, but you will level up very fast in it, giving more advantage for next events.

Just think of it like an investment you pay a bit more ep but you get higher lvls and all those things bacsiha said. Not to mention the reward AA should pretty much cutback all losses if you sell it fast. Theres also lots of event A monsters usually that help cut back costs and sos or whatever. The first event you might just break even, but from then on it just gets better.

FinestArts

Back to top Go down

Post by applesauce on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:33 am

Yea, I made sure I had 450 energy points and 250 Ep to do my first rank. That was around lvl 85 . Also having the first ranking being one of those that give more than 1:1 Ep:Xp is very useful too it help u lvl quick, at the end of my first event I went from 85 to 100ish. That combined with event stuff I definitely profited by a few hundred ep

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
applesauce

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch102 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:02 am

This is quite a useful thread. I'm still learning about the game mechanics (my clan leader gave me a 101 on weekly battle ranking) and this aspect of the game looks like the really hard part.

Saving up to make that first push into the rankings looks like it can be fun if you have the ep and time to do it (and progs/etc).

ofc being in the lvl50s this is not anywhere near something I want to try yet!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monster Corp. (26818537)
- A member of [S.T.A.R.S.] Alliance
Lieutenant ❚❚

Need a new AA+? Why not Zoidberg?
Scratch102

Back to top Go down

Post by Guvire on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:19 pm

I'm glad this thread has turned into a helpful one where people come to debate the little things instead of putting my original post "on blast" ... LOL

I'll try to figure out a few more tricks. Right now, the easiest way to teach someone who isn't on the forums seems to be to have them install kik messenger. Then at least the "chats" don't have to be in 140 characters or less :/

Guvire

Back to top Go down

Post by XJF on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:21 am

What's the take on prog use.
I'm level 90 with a healthy stash of ep.

Is it better to pay the shit ton of ep for a prog on day 1 and keep a steady pace or wait until the event is almost over, buy a prog+ at like 25% original price and use the saved ep to possibly rank higher? Obviuosly, available free time plays into this ALOT, but outside of that, do these kind of tactics have a significant affect?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XJF

Back to top Go down

Post by FinestArts on Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:39 am

It depends on what you want to accomplish with the prog. I'll try list some reasons that i know of on why you would buy a prog early/late.

Early Progs (day 1)
1. You can burn through the event really fast and be one of the first people to get the event only A monsters or items(like sos when they first came out), and sell them for really good prices since your one of the first people and cutback or even profit the prog prices.
2. To cruise through the event as you said day by day coz you might not have enough time to marathon the event like some people so you would need the prog early to chip away at the event.
3. You want to rank in the top 50 or a really high place in the mid rankings/final so you need the prog early so you can keep up to date with the competition.
4. You feel you can burn through the event really fast, get to a comfortable position where you think you will be in top 500 for sure and sell the prog early while its still worth a lot.

Progs Late (halfway through event to second last day)
1. You want to save EP by not buying the inflated prog prices in the beginning and use it for the event instead and are confident you can rank with the remaining days you have left.

You should never buy the prog on the last day unless you are absolutely confident because you won't get the daily rank update which is really helpful to see where you are. There are benefits on both sides, but it basically comes down to what you want to accomplish and how much time you have to spare. If you have more time to spare you can save more EP.

FinestArts

Back to top Go down

Post by XJF on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:05 am

Thanks for the well thought out response.
I had heard of people doing it both ways. But with the recent cost of Progs in this past event it was looking more and more beneficial to buy one late in the event, but it looks like day 1 is the way to go. At least I'm not Sin so it's not too bad lol
What's the main difference between reg dark summons vs the Epic DS given as mid event rewards? Are EDS only A rank and higher?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XJF

Back to top Go down

Post by FinestArts on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:15 am

Yeah if you aren't sin it's a lot easier to make the decision to buy the prog early lol because the prog is cheaper, but the event monster rewards/items will still sell the same. Sadly i'm sin lol. (so much regret)
EDS do only give out rank A or higher and they give higher chance of getting AA's as well i think its like x3? compared to normal summons.

FinestArts

Back to top Go down

Post by XJF on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 am

Epic Dark Summons almost seem worth it lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
XJF

Back to top Go down

Post by B$ on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 am

XJF wrote:Epic Dark Summons almost seem worth it lol

Believe me when I say they probably arent worth it. Joe on here went thru like 140 of them before he got an AA.
B$

Back to top Go down

Post by ryesteve on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:16 pm

FinestArts wrote:Yeah if you aren't sin it's a lot easier to make the decision to buy the prog early lol because the prog is cheaper, but the event monster rewards/items will still sell the same
You mean there are sin event awards that are as impossible to sell as chimera and choi?

ryesteve

Back to top Go down

Post by FinestArts on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 am

ryesteve wrote:
FinestArts wrote:Yeah if you aren't sin it's a lot easier to make the decision to buy the prog early lol because the prog is cheaper, but the event monster rewards/items will still sell the same
You mean there are sin event awards that are as impossible to sell as chimera and choi?

Sure, every guild has its pile of crap lol. But, i was mainly referring
to the event monsters like flame weaver, 100 flame demon and items like SoS
etc etc. These things sell for a decent amount if you get them really
early in the event and the psycho/covert ones sell just as good as the
sin ones, maybe a bit less or even more (depending on desirability).
Difference is it's much better to buy an 80 ep prog+ rather then a 120
ep prog+ to obtain that early loot day 1 if you have the time to marathon it and
cutback prog costs.

FinestArts

Back to top Go down

Post by robinsonsteve62 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Ok I must be thinking about this all wrong.....isn't it not even worth attempting to rank until you are somewhere around lvl130ish......I mean if the final reward is worth about 300ep and a lvl 200 guy only has to spend 150ish to rank so a double in prfit and a lvl100 guy has to spend 300 to rank isn't is stupid to waste ep to try and rank.....it just seems useless to waste ep below lvl130 or so

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

robinsonsteve62

Back to top Go down

Post by ryesteve on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Wellm the thing is, especially when they remove the level cap, there are always going to be thousands and thousands of players ahead of mid level players, so it's always going to cost them a lot more to compete. At least with the level cap, they'd be catching up, but soon that will no longer be the case.

ryesteve

Back to top Go down

Post by bacsiha on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I use total 500ep for my 2 alt acc for this tower event.
If the AA sell for 300, only have 100 profit but Im not sad because with high lv atm I will have more profit for next event

Seriously, if you dont join event, I think it will cost you a year to reach lv 130. And when you reach that, there are thousands of players lv 130 like you and you stll have no profit. More early more better

And for the removing lv cap, I dont think its a problem. Lv 200 player maybe get 5 lv for each event. But mid lv will get 20 lv.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bacsiha

Back to top Go down

Post by overseer07 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:56 pm

robinsonsteve62 wrote:Ok I must be thinking about this all wrong.....isn't it not even worth attempting to rank until you are somewhere around lvl130ish......I mean if the final reward is worth about 300ep and a lvl 200 guy only has to spend 150ish to rank so a double in prfit and a lvl100 guy has to spend 300 to rank isn't is stupid to waste ep to try and rank.....it just seems useless to waste ep below lvl130 or so

There's nothing wrong with breaking even, or losing a little ep, in order to rank. You'll level up dramatically and gain tons of cards, skills, and gold. It's the easiest way to get to the point where you can rank more easily rank, and gives you a big advantage on people who are waiting until they level up to 130 to even try to rank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

overseer07

Back to top Go down

Post by ryesteve on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:07 am

bacsiha wrote:I use total 500ep for my 2 alt acc for this tower event.
What floors are you at? Sounds like you're spending way more than you need to. The drops on this one have been so good, my net cost is going to be only around 80, not even counting sales from trap monsters. From my perspective, this has been the most economical event I can remember.

ryesteve

Back to top Go down

Post by bacsiha on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 am

25xx floor
jumped 40 lv Smile
yes i know im spending more, cut off will be 2300 ish, but i want to be sure
to be honest if I fail both 2 acc this event i will be bankrupt lol, so dont want to be risk. also can beat the mcfly too so it wasnt bad idea

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bacsiha

Back to top Go down

Post by Demoni on Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 am

overseer07 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with breaking even, or losing a little ep, in order to rank. You'll level up dramatically and gain tons of cards, skills, and gold. It's the easiest way to get to the point where you can rank more easily rank, and gives you a big advantage on people who are waiting until they level up to 130 to even try to rank.

This is the conclusion I came up with too that convinced me to go for ranking in the event. The more often you break even the quicker you will get into the upper levels with an even better change to rank with an low investment of ep.

I spend around 250 ep (+ 30 for an reg prog to + the one I got in an DS) and finished @ 2839 floors. I gained 25 levels made around 7 million gold and was able to sell the soul traps and Skill souls for ep as I went. Even if I end up loosing some ep I will still be in better shape for next time I go for rank. I now have 670 energy so each ep I use helps a lot more.

I did however make a few mistakes along the way. I was aiming for the top 50 for mid event ranking but did not understand the time and ep involved in getting to that point and staying there through to the mid point. On the second day I was 91st on the 3 I was 75th I kept hitting a wall with how much time i was able to invest in going through the floors. I ended up rank 81 for the mid rank, turns out that 50th was around 400 floors above where I ended. Lesson learned if you plan on going for mid rank it's all or nothing and expect to spend a lot of time doing it.

Due to the rapid progress I made early, when Myfly started showing up it would have cost 10 ep just to get my account into the Summoner zone. Due to this I ended up auctioning my Prog off for 35ep.
Demoni

Back to top Go down

Post by bacsiha on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:23 am

Yay !!!!
got the Lyra x2 !!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bacsiha

Back to top Go down

Post by TigerStrike on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 pm

Ranked for the first time. Barely made the cutoff. Spent about 150-160 ep and another 80 ep for the prog. Went from level 91 to 108.

I learned a few thing from this experience and want to share it with others.

The Tower/Floor event takes a long time to advance at the higher levels. I spent around a hour for 50 floors. I'm not sure if it is my phone but all those animation slows down the progress.

Also, when I had my prog as leader, I was attacked about once an hour compared to my regular team being attacked once a day.

I was ranked around 380+ Monday morning which was the last day of the event. Since I had to work, I didn't have much time to progress until the end of the day. I went up 200 floors and dropped 110 spot to barely make the cutoff around 490+. Make sure you push hard the last day or you might not make the cutoff.

This event took a lot of time to rank. I'm not sure how some people can put in the effort to go to 5500 floors. I didn't do this event to make a profit but I should be able to sell several monsters and get some EP back. I did this event for the monster and I assumed that the Tyranny reward would be a hot item and very expensive to purchase similar to Vanity Dragon. Now I just need to get another one to plus mine.

TigerStrike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top